With wedding season in full swing it seems hard to imagine life on the other side. I probably shouldn’t play favourites but I do find photographing weddings a unique buzz. I adore being with the bride in the morning as her butterflies begin to build, I love watching the groom take deep breaths as he senses his bride is coming down the aisle to meet him, I take great joy in seeing the emotion from all the friends and family that are there wishing all the love and support to the happy couple. You get the best view in the house, so up, close and personal to the couple throughout the day that you live and breath their wedding with them, but with that comes a unique and humbling responsibly to not miss a thing and handle every moment that arises with dignity and discretion. You have to document the day but not influence it too much. You have to be there to tell groom if he has something in his teeth but also know when to stay quiet and let the moment sit. From September I’m going to be entering a special time in my life. My youngest daughter will start school for the first time and 2 months later, I should be welcoming a new bundle of joy into my arms. This leaves me with just 2 short months where my diary will be a lot more free than usual. I will still be taking on bookings until my due date but I will probably not take on any additional weddings from October, ‘just in case’ baby decided to arrive early. I was trying to think about how I could put those 2 months to good use and still get some of that ‘buzz’ of capturing such a very special event as it unfolds. Recording, observing but not influencing. So this is what I’ve come up with…. I would like to photograph a home birth! This is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do but never been able to commit to due to work or children commitments. Now seems like the perfect opportunity to fulfil this ambition and hopefully give a couple of yummy mummies the gift of having their birth documented and some images to look back on and enjoy for a lifetime. I’m actually pretty jealous because this is exactly what I would like for my upcoming birth, but as much as I like to multitask, I think photographing my own birth is a little beyond me. So I will have to photograph some of yours instead!
What you would get:
- Totally free of charge photography of your birth in your own home between 15th September 2014 & 5th November 2014
- Im going to provisionally offer 2 spaces as I think I could achieve this in the timescale (conditions apply started below)
- I would aim to stay throughout the labour and for a short while after the baby arrives to capture the actual birth, some images of the new baby, and some with mum and any birth partners.
- Discreet and tactful service, with a high standard of professionalism maintained at all times.
- The services of a photographer that absolutely LOVES her job and finds beauty or interest in pretty much all moments of life.
- I would not use or share any images without your prior consent.
- Images on a disk within 2 weeks of the birth, free for you to use and share as you wish.
We all know that babies can be unpredictable so there would need to be a few conditions.
- The homebirth would need to be within 5 miles of the Bedford and Milton Keynes area to ensure that I could get to you within a reasonable time.
- No compensation would be made if I didn’t make it to the birth in time or was caught up attending another homebirth at the same time.
- No guarantee that I would be able to continue to photograph the birth in the case of complications or a change of plan resulting in the delivery being transferred to the hospital.
- No compensation can be made should the midwife or caregiver refuse to allow photography on the day or suspend the photography at any time during the birth.
- No guarantee of fulfilling specific shots or a set quantity of images will be given, as the primary objective is to maintain the standards needed for a healthy labour and birth.
- I would like to use a small selection of the images for my portfolio. For this, I would seek individual permission for each image that I have selected prior to using and only use photographs that you were entirely happy for me to share.
- Your baby would need to arrive between September 15th and 5th November 2014. I cannot guarantee that I will attend any delivery that is either side of this timeframe.
So that’s it. If you think you might be interested, or know anyone who might like to get onboard, please share this with them. I look forward to some bouncing babies being born very soon!